Friday, April 30, 2010

Rockford Chiropractor - Tooth Extractions


There's my tooth. Specifically, number 12, or bicuspid #1 on the upper left. I have had an abcess in it since January. Other means to correct it, including immune support remedies, were effective in only alleviating the pain. I came eventually to agree with my Rockford dentist, who barked at me, "You can band-aid this all you want, but you still have to get it out!"

The experience was not fun. I guess I would rather play a violin recital in my underwear, on music that I was sight-reading, than have to go through this again. But I learned some valuable lessons with the experience!

The cranial osteopaths were right when they specified how certain motions in extracting a tooth would separate cranial bones in predictable ways. I could feel the forces pushing and pulling through my upper jaw, face, back of the head and neck. I could feel the strain on the atlas, my first cervical vertebra as I pulled my head backwards and resisted the pressure of the extraction procedure. I could feel the strange reluctance in the tooth, as though it was saying, "No, we have to work together, we're stronger as a team!"

("Thankyou for your service - you're fired!" I thought)

The dentist chair is a favorite place for a person to lose the all-important relation between the neck and the head. It's not your dentists' fault. The forces going into the head can be brutal to the tissues supporting the head and neck. What can you do about it?

First, make sure the head support is properly positioned, neither placing pressure on the neck nor forcing your head down.

Second, if you don't have an upper cervical doctor who can monitor your atlas' relationship to the head, you need to find one! When this relationship goes out, your nerve system cries "ouch!" and pulls up one leg, creates postural distortions and other havoc with your body systems.

So remember, if you must have dental work (you have my sympathy if it is an extraction), be sure to get checked by your upper cervical doctor afterward.

Oh, by the way, I didn't lose my head/neck alignment, and I feel a lot better after a gentle cranial adjustment.

1 comment:

  1. Too often, people wait until the pain becomes unbearable before they contact a chiropractor. Waiting can cause long-term damage, so it is important that you contact your chiropractor when the pain originally begins.

    orem chiropractor

    ReplyDelete